Prologue and Rationale
Constipation is the main cause of many disorders in the body. It is a common disturbance in the digestive system, which hinders the bowel movement. As a result toxins produced in the body are not eliminated and they find their way into the blood stream and are carried to all parts of the body. Due to this the resistance of the entire system is lowered. Constipation has different meanings depending on person to person. Some are of a view that if they are not having bowel movement daily they are constipated. But it's a wrong belief as it varies from person to person. Some may have bowel movement three times a day and some may have thrice a week, it varies from person to person. One is considered to be constipated if he or she is having pain while passing bowel or the bowels are not completely emptied when they move.
The various symptoms of constipation are-
· Hard, small and dry faeces
· Painful bowel movement
· Infrequent bowel movement
· Weight loss
· Pain in the abdomen
· Loss of appetite
· Uncomfortable feeling
· Pimples on the face
· Mouth ulcers
· Coated tongue
· Foul breath
· Heart burn
· Feeling of fullness in the stomach
· Abdominal pain
The most important cause of constipation is wrong diet and wrong living habits. Excessive intake of refined foods that lack vitamins and minerals, low consumption of water or liquids, consumption of meat in large amounts, high intake if tea and coffee, overeating, incomplete chewing of food, wrong combination of foods, irregular eating habits may contribute to the onset of constipation. Other causes may be the weakness of abdominal muscles due to sedentary working conditions, lack of physical activity, emotional stress and depression. Various diseases like tumors, diabetes, hyperacidity, colitis and sluggish liver are also the causes of chronic constipation. The other main cause of constipation is holding back stools despite pressure.
1. Drinking hot water with sour limejuice and half a teaspoon of salt is an effective remedy for constipation.
2. A teaspoon of linseed taken with water before each meal provides bulk and lubrication, thus curing constipation.
3. The juice of two oranges taken in the morning with empty stomach for 8-10 days relieves constipation.
4. Regular drinking of water is highly beneficial for cleaning the system. Normally 6-8 glasses of water are recommended for digesting and dissolving the food nutrients.
5. Drinking water, which has been kept overnight in a copper vessel when taken in the morning with empty stomach, will give immediate relief from constipation.
6. Dip 10-12 dry grapes without seeds in milk and boil the milk. Now chew the grapes and drink the milk. This is more beneficial when taken at night.
7. A cold friction bath taken daily in the morning also cures constipation.
8. 1-2 teaspoons of almond oil taken with milk at night for 3-4 days also relieves constipation.
9. Make chapatti of wheat (two parts) and roasted black gram powder (one part) along with their husk.
10. Dip two teaspoonfuls of Spiegel seeds in water for 6 hour, add equal amount of sugar and take this with water at night.
11. Cabbage juice half cup taken twice-daily cures constipation.
12. Mango is a natural reliever of constipation.
13. Chronic constipation can be cured with high intake of figs dipped in water and taken in the morning time.
14. Daily intake of guava with empty stomach in the morning time is highly beneficial.
15. The juice of two oranges taken in the morning with empty stomach for 8-10 days relieves constipation.
16. Vajrasana of various yogasanas is also beneficial for curing constipation.
17. Dip Spiegel seeds 5-10 grams in 200 grams of warm milk. Add sugar and take this at night.
18. 2-4 teaspoonfuls of castor oil also relieves constipation
19. 4 grams of triphala powder when taken with 200 grams of warm water or milk also relieves constipation.
20. Carrot juice mixed with spinach juice gives immediate relief from constipation.
21. Dates along with milk also relieve constipation.
Improper diet and fluids cause constipation. So, very heavy foods containing fats such as creams, pastries, puddings, proteins like cheese, chicken and fried foods should be avoided. The intake of raw foods like green vegetables, salad and fresh foods should be increased. The high fibre diet including soybean, Bengal gram, fruits like apple, figs, guava, grapes, lemon, dates, orange, grains like barley, oatmeal, maize, wheat flour, whole wheat, rice flakes, refined wheat flour should be taken. High carbohydrate fibre containing diet like carrot, dry peas, rajmah, drumstick are also helpful in preventing constipation. Excessive tea and coffee, smoking and chewing tobacco also leads to constipation so they all should be avoided. Proper chewing of food helps in easy digestion, thus, avoiding constipation.
Gentle aperients for people suffering from constipation
1. Olive oil: one teaspoon of olive oil taken at the morning time lubricates the system and enhances the bowel movement.
2. Bran: 2 teaspoons taken daily ensures a regular movement.
3. Lemon and honey: squeeze the juice of half lemon into hot water with a pinch of sea salt and one teaspoon of honey. Drink this in the morning time for regular bowel movements.Constipation Relief